Monday, February 23, 2009

The weekend that was

Jess and I had a pretty nice weekend. On Friday night we went with Tracy to see Milk at the State Theatre. This was an excellent movie. Sean Penn was tremendously good in it. Milk is the type of movie that I think everyone should see, kind of like Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan. It's one of those important films that can make a difference if enough people see it. I went into it thinking it would be very good, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was amazing. And seeing a movie at the State Theatre is always a lot of fun. I didn't even get the kid snack tray, which is certainly the best deal in town (popcorn, fruit snacks, and a juice box for $2.50!).

On Saturday, Jess and I ran some errands. We bought our book club's newest read at Barnes and Noble, and picked up some essentials at Target. I also got a badly needed haircut. It had been 82 days since my previous haircut, which is approximately 30 days too long. We had Outback for supper, and watched The Wackness. I enjoyed this movie. Jess particularly enjoyed the soundtrack, as it was a flashback into the music that was popular when we were in high school. Well, popular if you were into popular music. I was too busy listening to Huey Lewis and the News and Gustav Holst.

Jess and I have started a new tradition. One of us is going to cook a new recipe for supper every weekend. We will alternate weeks, and Sunday night was my turn. I attempted to follow a recipe for chicken fried steak, which is one of my favorite foods. I give myself an A for effort, and a B- for execution. Overall it turned out pretty bland. I wasn't entirely thrilled with how the coating fried up on the steaks, but I liked the consistency of the gravy. It was all slightly bland . . . I should have seasoned the dredging flour a bit more, and jazzed up the gravy a bit. But, this is certainly something I could make again, and I think I could do a better job if I tried it again. Jess is up next weekend . . . I'm excited to see what she makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger