Monday, February 23, 2009

Cleveland Clinton

Today, through the miracle of Facebook and the tangled web of connections that it facilitates, I found out some very sad news about a high school classmate.  My friend Cleveland Clinton passed away after some complications from a surgery.  Cleveland and I were in marching band and drum and bugle corps throughout high school, but we fell out of contact a little bit after high school, and a lot bit after college.

On the day that I met Clevelend we were in the 8th grade and performing in a musical production at the Erie Civic Center.  We attended different schools, but all of the bands in Erie were pulled together for the City of Erie's bicentennial.  The massive combined band was set up on the floor at the Civic Center, and a keen trombone player down the line mentioned that we were sitting on a block of ice the size of Cleveland.  Mr. Clinton, whom I had never met before, chimed in, "Hey . . . I'm Cleveland!"  This was just a hint at Cleveland's sense of humor.

This whole thing is particularly sad because Cleveland was finally getting his life together and doing what he loved.  As best I could tell, Cleveland did not have much of a home life during high school and seemed to really be entirely on his own.  After high school he put himself through school, got his teaching degree, and finally became a music teacher in Colorado.  Cleveland always loved music and anyone who knew him at all could describe how talented he was.  He overcame so much to make something of himself and did it essentially on his own.

I really regret not being in touch with him of late, and I will miss him.

9 comments:

  1. I was looking online to see if there were any funeral announcements for Cleveland and came upon your blog. We were in EACMB with Cleveland as our staff the first year and on that it was created. If you know of the arrangements will you post them?

    Emm Venesky and Patty Lillie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of what funeral arrangements (if any) have been made. What I have heard through the grapevine is that is sister had gone out to Colorado to bring Cleveland back to Pennsylvania, but other than that I have not heard any specifics. Nothing has been in the papers yet.

    Lake Erie Regiment has indicated that they are going to update their webpage if and when they hear anything.

    www.leregiment.org

    Should I find out details I will post them here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Colorado we are devastated. He was a talented musician and teacher and our children all loved him dearly. He always said "beautiful, beautiful" no matter what sound they made. The children beamed with pride during every music class. I am glad to find he has friends who care. He always seemed so alone. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad to hear that Cleveland was doing well in Colorado. I never could have imagined Cleveland doing anything other than teaching music . . . it always seemed like a natural fit for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cleveland was a talented, humorous, kind-hearted man. I will cherish memories with him forever. I'll never forget our Dayton trip, or going fishing together. He was a good friend, and I am sad that we lost contact over the years. The world will truly miss him. He is an inspiration to all by how hard he worked to become successful. We will meet again someday in heaven, and I am sure he will still have the same sense of humor and kind heart.

    C.J. (Eriksen) Huffman

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a story about Cleveland at huerfanojournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will cherish the happy and always comical memory of Cleveland. He always made our band practices fun and full of laughter. When he was drum major he always gave the crowd a salute to remember and seemed to know everyone.. (no matter what school they went to). He was a dear friend and like Bryan we also lost touch after high school. Cleveland will sadly be missed by both "old" and "new" friends.

    Jaime (Wingenbach) Fullerton

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Clinton was a great teacher and he cared so much for all his students. He had an amazing way of touching the hearts of all his students. All he had to do was be himself!!! My children were in his music class at the time of his passing. He will be dearly missed by everyone here in Colorado. There is no one that can replace or come close to being the man, teacher, friend that Mr. Clinton was. It is truely great to see he had great friends that cared about him!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favourite reason appeared to be at the web the simplest factor to be mindful of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as folks consider worries that they just do not recognise about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest neatly as defined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you! CBD tinctures Cleveland Ohio

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger