Friday, March 13, 2009

I want a Funcooker

Remember how when I started this blog I was committed to updating everyday? What happened to that?

This week is spring break at PSU. Most people spend spring break going to exotic, tropical locations and making bad, drunken decisions. Not the Kovals. We visited Jess's parents in Ohio, my folks in Erie, and made it back to State College in time for Tuesday Night Trivia at Otto's, where we were victorious (in part due to low attendance due to the break). Jess and I both worked yesterday and today to preserve vacation days for our trip to Florida in May.

While in the Pittsburgh area over break, Jessica and I went to see Watchmen at the IMAX theatre on the Waterfront. It was pretty good. I really liked the comics and wanted to like the movie, so I am sure I am biased. I thought the acting was underwhelming, but the story was good and it was so true to the comics that I couldn't have been particulary disappointed. Had the acting been better, I think it would have gotten better reviews in the popular press. It was a good looking film, and although lots of people have issues with Zach Snyder's directorial style, I liked Watchmen just fine. Make a note: I must be the only person who was not terribly offended by Dr. Manhattan's radioactive manhood on full display . . . he was naked throughout most of the comic, too!

Lately I have been getting acceptance letters from the doctoral programs to which I have applied. In addition to my previous acceptance at Pitt, I was also accepted at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and the University at Buffalo. UT needed to know whether I was coming in 2 business days, so I had to ask to be moved to the waiting list. Buffalo has offered me a solid assistantship with a stipend and full in-state tuition, so that looks very appealing right now. I'm still waiting on GWU and the University of Denver, so we will see what happens.

I am looking forward to the weekend and the basketball fever pitch that is due to strike soon. PSU plays Purdue tonight in the Big Ten Tournament, and hopefully a win tonight will clinch them a spot in the Big Dance (although they may already be in). I am looking forward to seeing how things bracket out on Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger